1 July 2008

Prologue Ver. 1.1

Guy was murdered outside my house the other day, cops only just cleared off. I have lived in this godawful town for 17 years, and nothing has ever happened. Why is it, that whenever you just accept something, fate comes back and inverts it all. The most boring place on the planet, and there are going to be news crews and police around the neighbourhood for the next week or so. Not brilliant for someone who suffers from mild xenophoia*. But, if there's one thing I have learned about life, it's that you just have to put up with stuff sometimes. But yeah, so much for this being the place where nothing happens.
-This one is actually staying the same

I don't know if I'll bother going to school tomorrow, seeing as everyone at school is going to be asking me about anything and everything to do with the murder. I know my mum doesn't like it when I truant, but if she really wants me to spend 6 hours in an enclosed room with 30 total imbeciles, none of whom I associate/sympathise with, then she is in some need of assistance. It's not like I learn anything there anyway, is it. It does get annoying though, going against the grain of society. Like whenever I do go to school, the head teacher always wants to talk to me about my long absences, and my mum sits me down for a "seious chat" every once in a while. But I guess that is the price of some basic kind of freedom. If you like freedom, you should find it somewhere else though, my way of life is a lonely and unhappy one. I have separated myself from any other people that I should hold dear to me, at great cost to me and anyone that ever loved me. My heart is akin to a stone plunged into the arctic ocean, and left there for a thousand years. This is me, and I see nothing changing me. I am devoid of any commitments, and I intend to keep it that way.
-same again

My name is [umm, help please?]. I am 17 years old, and very odd, if you measure me against society's norm. I have a recorded IQ of 143, which supposedly puts me well inside the top 1% of achievment. I am labelled many things, but I have very little respect for labels assigned to me. I hate nothing more than spending time with other people my age, and they hate spending time with me, so I have just decided to avoid anyone my age. Me not being one to discriminate, however, I have basically avoided everyone for the past 18 months.

The only thing in my life that is honest, true, and has any meaning to me is math. Math is both the love- and the bane- of my life. In my short life alone, I have discovered 3 brand new theories, proved 14 little known ones, and I have probably attained a similar understanding of the finer points of mathematics as a university graduate.


In spite of all that though, I am not famous, nor loved nor cherished. I lay forgotten in the middle of nowhere, living this superficial life, locking myself in my room, and keeping everything in my life totally secret. Gifted, would be the term for my abilities, but that is not true. I would cross a sea of nails to be normal, to lead an ordinary life. As I am, I am disregarded, misunderstood and unloved. So I lock myself away in the only place I have left- My room.

Everything I have ever known, been or loved is in my room. Nobody else wants to, or is allowed to enter it. I come in here to escape the people who want to learn about my "gifts". They don't know me, don't want to, and never will. I have put up barriers around my life, and no-one will ever be able to bring them own; no-one will ever be close to me; I will never be close to anyone else. And the depressing thing is, this is the way I prefer it under my circumstances- if no-one understands me, and nobody wants to, then I don't want to know them.






Red is edited, black is not. I am thinking of removing the mention of IQ altogether, tell me what you think. It will be a poll in a few minutes. Also, please critique this version.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I just thought of one more quick comment. Since it’s the prologue I guess I won’t harp on it too much, but be careful to make sure this really sounds like a journal entry and not an explanation of his life to someone else. Everything from “My name is...” to the end wouldn’t really fit in a journal entry.

And the changes do work. IQ tests are more reliable for the moderately gifted, so a quick mention of an IQ of 143 wouldn’t bother me as much as saying his IQ was 160+.

Max PW said...

hmm, Tweaked_Up raised that as well, and since then I was toying with the idea of him just narrating the book- I thought the edits did make the whole thing sound a whole lot better.